Other Car mechanical Question

Mechanical opinion question, girlfriend's 2013 honda civic with 70K miles...replaced 3 yr old battery, starts normal except maybe every 10 starts turn key nothing. Change 8.00 starter Relay in fuse box next ? Wouldn't think a Japanese starter bad at 70K. No sound heard intermittently but not often. Battery connections seem solid and clean.
Thanks for the input.

Jcary85

Site Supporter
How do You fix it on the 10th start? Just turn the key again? If it takes a couple key turns, pop the hood and listen for the relay clicking while it’s not starting. If it clicks it’s most likely good. A lot of times there are similar relays like the horn You can just swap without buying one. If the relay doesn’t click maybe check the switch on the shifter (if there is one) that detects neutral and/or park

I’d check connections at starter for corrosion.

How do You fix it on the 10th start? Just turn the key again? If it takes a couple key turns, pop the hood and listen for the relay clicking while it’s not starting. If it clicks it’s most likely good. A lot of times there are similar relays like the horn You can just swap without buying one. If the relay doesn’t click maybe check the switch on the shifter (if there is one) that detects neutral and/or park

I’d check connections at starter for corrosion.
Could be Key Fob related.... I cant count on two hands how many times I have seen a Key Fob battery cause weird issues
Good points guys I've thought about some of these ideas too. Jcary on the 10th or so occurrence, she has to turn the key a second time and then it starts normal.

I think it is the starter I have a 2013 civic and was doing a similar thing a few months ago. Would start just fine but every once in a while turning the key would do nothing and a few more turns it would start right up no clicking or any noises. It didn't seem like it would be the starter but it was only has 50k on car

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If it has the constant crank feature by just turning the key, make sure that the BCM is sending a signal to the starter solenoid. Not sure on Honda's, but gm ford and toyota are all controlled by a 5v reference.

Top Bottom