Anybody riding gravel?

So I just hit a big goal I had for this year forst 50 mile ride. Then I did it again yesterday! Heres the weird thing, my average speed is around 14.5-15 on a normal 30-35 mile ride. For some reason on both of these longer rides I maintain an average of almost 15.8mph. Cant seem to figure out why I cant do a higher average on shorter rides. Anybody got any ideas?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
So I just hit a big goal I had for this year forst 50 mile ride. Then I did it again yesterday! Heres the weird thing, my average speed is around 14.5-15 on a normal 30-35 mile ride. For some reason on both of these longer rides I maintain an average of almost 15.8mph. Cant seem to figure out why I cant do a higher average on shorter rides. Anybody got any ideas?
Terrain may be different allowing faster speeds to give you a higher average. There is a road loop I do, depending on which way I go one way will have a faster avg than the other.

Its the same loop. I just add another 20 mile loop for the big loop. Its all pretty much similar terrain and if I do that smaller loop I maintain my lower average speed on it as well. I think its just the effects of a good day with good legs. I know that one day a week I have no wife and no kids and I push it as hard as I can as long as I can.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Did a small 20 mile ride week ago, 8 miles to hit gravel then just did 2 miles out tuen cam back. Not riden the grabel part. There is anouther gravel rout i take nearby that is about same sistance with only 3 miles to get to gravel. It takes about an hour hit turn aroumd point them only 35 minutes for the 10 mile return trip. So you get the idea. A crap load of climbing on the out route for either route. The new one was basically the same when i looked at the Strava elevation chart. From down low to a high peak and the 2nd half was mirror of the climb. Had hoped to get some riding in this week but gpt sinus crud now. Had Covid test to be sure. NEGATIVE but positive of having zero energy.

Top Bottom