750 Sxi Pro bringing back to life - frozen bearing?

Hey guys,

Have this 02 750 sxi pro. Haven’t run it for a few years. It got some rainwater it for a few months while sitting. Now it’s time to start wrenching and get back to riding. Seems like I got a lot of work to do.

Old battery was toast so Put in a new battery still nothing (no click). Started going through it and cleaning up connections. part of the exhaust is off to make this easier.

Before jumping the solenoid Decided to try and turn the shaft with the plugs out and it won’t budge. I’m trying to determine if the engine is frozen or if it’s the shaft bearing. The shaft is between the coupler and the impeller so I’m leaning towards the bearing being bad.

Before getting a bearing rebuild kit and pulling the motor is there anything else that should be done to diagnose this or get the bearing spinning without pulling the motor?

ski details-
02 750 sxi pro
aftermarket intake grate and isolas prop
Previous owner had it bored out
MSD, lightened fly wheel, total loss ignition
factory pipe66E3162B-2029-49E0-8B9D-1966A307CB6D.jpeg

Hey guys,

Have this 02 750 sxi pro. Haven’t run it for a few years. It got some rainwater it for a few months while sitting. Now it’s time to start wrenching and get back to riding. Seems like I got a lot of work to do.

Old battery was toast so Put in a new battery still nothing (no click). Started going through it and cleaning up connections. part of the exhaust is off to make this easier.

Before jumping the solenoid Decided to try and turn the shaft with the plugs out and it won’t budge. I’m trying to determine if the engine is frozen or if it’s the shaft bearing. The shaft is between the coupler and the impeller so I’m leaning towards the bearing being bad.

Before getting a bearing rebuild kit and pulling the motor is there anything else that should be done to diagnose this or get the bearing spinning without pulling the motor?

ski details-
02 750 sxi pro
aftermarket intake grate and isolas prop
Previous owner had it bored out
MSD, lightened fly wheel, total loss ignition
factory pipeView attachment 401303

Took the rest of the exhaust off to get a better look at some of the connections. Noticed the throttle cable looks broken to a 90 degree bend. I don’t recall it being like this but can’t remember. The throttle has too much friction on it for sure. May need to get new cables. 25619375-C146-4C9B-8A4C-D09BC6251107.jpeg

Ended up pulling the engine. It engine spins fine. The drive shaft took a bit pressure but started freed up. I can feel it binding in one part on the the rotation on the wear ring. Now debating pulling the pump off and sending it out for a new wear ring or just braking it. To answer my first question about telling if it is the back part of the drive shaft or the motor. Once I got the Drive shaft coupler cover off I could feel the motor side moving for sure. After that I knew it was further back on the shaft. However, I couldn’t tell if it was the bearing or wear ring until I got motor out.

What did you find with the pump once you pulled it out? bearings shot, prop binding on pump?
It’s the prop binding on the pump. I can hear it hitting the wear ring in one place as it rotates. I could pull the pump and send it in for a new wear ring but hoping to not have to do that and brap it without chewing the prop up.

Top Bottom