Well after some good ole edumactaion, time to hack at this $150 RRP pump shoe to fit in my $8k RRP hull My friend Andy who has a nice setup in his truck offered to come by and hit it with the 36 grit to make quick work of that aluminum.
Mark the line, take the line, and repeat. We have a lot of angles and surface to fit.
Also found it funny each side is a different thickness. Nothing worth worriying about, you just would think it would be symetrical.
Found I also needed to clearance the top of the pump shoe. We took a smidgen off but wanted to ensure the pump seal still had a big surface to seal on. Later, we wound up back cutting the underside for more clearance (corner in hull/gelcoat, etc)
With the pump shoe almost in its final resting spot I wanted to see how the intake grate fit. Of course it didn't. So it was modified as well. Narrowed down, back cut, etc. Now the front fits and the back is in the shoe! Time to finish the shoe.
No real benefit other then to make me happy, we also reshaped the front intake grate to match the hull better.
At this point I noticed the intake grate wasn't centered in the pump tunnel and found the culprit. The corner was cleaned up and it fit much better.
After centering the grate I noticed it dosn't actually sit flush in the pump shoe. By sliding it forward some I found the culprit was the lip underneath. I tried to change its shape but with my limited tools but the flap disk too it and mad it all flush.
With the distracting intake grate done, it was time for final fitment on the pump shoe. At this point the shoe "fit" but required a hammer to get in and out. I decided before grinding the shoe more, id prep the hull for the shoe and gain some clearance for glue and shoe. I started witha wire brush to scratch clear coat. Quickly realized I should tape off, and then switched to a rasp.
With the pump shoe in its snug and almost final resting place, it was time to check pump to shoe clearance with an aligned and mounted pump. I don't know how its possible but I didn't have the bolts for the pump! A few texts later, my buddy Andrew delivered me what I needed to keep working! I was afraid another day would pass without a glued in shoe and was so thankful he could help! I half a$$ mounted the pump a few times and finally decided to get out my mid shaft alignment tool and mount it right. I had to slot the holes on my pump a bit to get her in line. With the shoe in its natural resting place you can see the varying and wide gap where the pump seal goes.
In then end one washer top right and two bottom right got the pump shoe squared up with the pump.
Now that the pump is aligned and I know how to square the pump shoe when I glue it in, I was ready for final pump shoe tweaks.
This started with some final prep to the ski. I found the rasp chipped and removed the clear and gelcoat fast.
The shoe fit must better but not a slip fit yet. Not wanting to remove any real hull materiel, I went back and started shaving down the sides of the pump shoe until it slide in without a hammer and with room for glue.
With the shoe in its final final resting place, I decided to shave it down to match the hull.
It was about midnight and I was beat, but its time for glue. 5200, gflex, heck lets try something new. $40 a tube ;-( I made myself a work area to mix and dug out my little composites box. Who remembers the black pigment I bought 13 years ago. Shes still in use! I placed the screws and washers in the shoe in hopes the glue would hold while I got into position. It did! I tried hard to fill e the voids in an effort to keep all that power of the water from prying away at it.