B1 flat deck

Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#1
Well started off as a simple peel the paint off and redo it. Paint after 2 years was just peeling off like a dirty stripper hahaha. Then it got ugly. Found a bunch of spots delaminating on my rear rocker so started grinding out the bad glass and just kept getting worse and worse. So my buddy has been trying to talk me into flat decking it cuz he seen a few on the internet that were done but they weren't really a real flat deck. This one will be an actual flat deck. So I butchered up my beloved B1 and have made good progress on it the last 4 days. Holy hell did I have a lot of white fairy dust lol . I'm going to be using a vacuum bag to seal the carbon flat deck to the hull. Never used one before do I'm gonna hope for the best. Tray will be getting 6lb expanding foam In it to seal it, reinforce and also give me a nice surface to lay the carbon down on. Lmk what you think and any advise. I'll try and post as many pics along the way
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#2
Step 1
 

Attachments

Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#3
More pics
 

Attachments

Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#4
So I was worried about the steering cable through hull fitting breaking onnme at some point and don't want to cut the tray open again especially after it's all foamed, that's a pain in the butt. So I took 2 nuts and cut grooves in a schedule 40 pipe and pressed the nuts inside so they can't turn. So now I just need to epoxy the pipe into place inside and if my outside hull piece breaks all I have to do is put another piece on, the nuts will be held in place on the inside
 

Attachments

Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#5
More progress. Shy about 20oz of foam or so. More coming tomorrow
 

Attachments

Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#7
She's always been a fun water slut but it's time for another makeover. I redid all of the nose 2 years ago and reshaped the top nose. It was Carter B gen 1 kit so no bond line with splash guard. Now it has one but didn't notice any difference other then a different look hahaha
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#8
More progress. Lots of blending and sanding body lines and making the deck flat
 

Attachments

Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#11
Looks fun! How will you replace steering cable or cooling lines?
In the second set of pictures you will see I took a piece of schedule 40 pipe and cut grooves in it for the steering cable through hull fitting nut to press inside. I ended up putting two nuts inside of it. Extra threads. It is epoxied in place and I have a 3/4" tube running all the the way through the bulkhead. Same with trim cable. Piece of 1/2" pex line
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#12
In the second set of pictures you will see I took a piece of schedule 40 pipe and cut grooves in it for the steering cable through hull fitting nut to press inside. I ended up putting two nuts inside of it. Extra threads. It is epoxied in place and I have a 3/4" tube running all the the way through the bulkhead. Same with trim cable. Piece of 1/2" pex line
Cooling lines are heavy duty 1/2" lines. Triple walled, put some pipe tape around the brass Barb's so the sharpness wouldn't cut into the hose and even wrapped foam around the hoses for added protection. Then poured 6lb expanding foam in tray. It's rock solid
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#13
Almost done but ran out of time at home. Back on the road for work I go . Probably won't get back on course until December
 

Attachments

Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Likes
65
Location
Graford, Tx
#14
I know the deck looks like poop. First time ever bagging and it was a big area with lots of curves and bends. It was hot as hell here in tx so I waited til late to mix resins, but by the time I got everything wetted out, bagging material laid down and fixed all the air leaks the epoxy already started gelling up and hardening before I could get it sucked down. So in a last ditch effort I proceeded to apply pressure on the release film working all in like I would normally do on a wet lay up. It all bonded thankfully but not how I wanted . Lessons learned. But on a good note the foot hold mounting plates came out nicely so second bagging attempt wasn't a complete failure. Probably with more practice I'll get the hang of it. It's definitely not as easy as I thought hahaha
 
Top Bottom